The Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) team develops, implements, and evaluates strategies and programs to prevent and control infectious diseases. Our primary focus is on healthcare associated infections. Here are our roles and functions:
Public Health Ontario's RICNs are a team of over 30 infection prevention and control experts across Ontario who:
- Coordinate infection prevention and control activities at regional and local levels.
- Support infection control professionals in their on-site role.
- Facilitate knowledge transfer, information sharing, and continuing education.
PIDAC-IPC is comprised of infection prevention and control experts who:
- Provide expert advice on communicable diseases, infection prevention and control, epidemiology, and immunization.
- Create best practice guidelines for infection prevention and control in all health care settings.
- Develop evidence-based knowledge products.
This is a comprehensive e-learning program for front-line health care workers that:
- Provides education and tools to protect themselves, and their clients, patients, and residents, from infection
- Offers online PIDAC best practice documents for routine practices and additional precautions
The JCYH hand hygiene program is evidence-based and designed to:
- Improve hand hygiene in hospitals, long-term care homes, and retirement homes.
- Provide tools and resources to promote and improve hand hygiene practices available upon request.
In conjunction with the Ontario Hospital Association, this province-wide program:
- Develops tools and resources to help hospitals evaluate and measure appropriate use of antimicrobials
- Evaluates best practices and methods that support ASP practices in hospitals
- Assesses how to support ASP across the spectrum of care
For information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Infection Control Resource Teams (ICRT) are available upon request to support hospitals and other health care settings during outbreaks; particularly for occurrences of Clostridium difficile. These teams consist of physicians, infection prevention and control practitioners and epidemiologists and who have expertise in outbreak management and infection prevention and control.
For assistance or information: email@example.com
For general information about Infection Prevention and Control at PHO: firstname.lastname@example.org