May 5 is World Hand Hygiene Day — Join the Conversation!
3 May 2017
World Hand Hygiene Day is an annual global advocacy day dedicated to increasing awareness of the importance of good hand hygiene. This Day was declared by the World Health Organization as a global call to action for health workers to “progress the goal of maintaining a global profile on the importance of hand hygiene in health care and to bring people together in support of hand hygiene improvement globally.”
PHO has been having fun preparing for World Hand Hygiene Day
This year, we decided to participate in Canadian Patient Safety Institute’s STOP! Clean Your Hands Day Video Competition. With the theme Ask Yourself, we created our own video that encourages people to have a conversation with themselves about hand hygiene. Ask Yourself: Is the glam work the grime is our playful way of helping health care providers remember good hand hygiene practices around jewelry and nail care.
There are many ways that you can get involved this year
You can do your part in promoting good hand hygiene. Here’s a list of ways to get involved:
- Share resources: PHO offers a number of great hand hygiene and infection prevention and control resources that you can share with your colleagues:
- Join webinars:
- Thursday May 4 at 12 p.m. EST — CPSI is offering a free hand hygiene webcast Making it Stick: When asking telling and begging isn’t enough, which showcases PHO’s efforts in changing hand hygiene practice through innovative knowledge translation efforts.
- Friday, May 5 at 8:30 a.m. EST — World Health Organization’s (WHO) Professor Didier Pittet will be hosting a free WHO Teleclass titled: Fight Antibiotic Resistance: It’s In Your Hands.
- Plan your own activities:
- CPSI offers a great set of innovative tools and resources like crossword puzzles, posters, videos and certificates to help plan your own set of activities.
- WHO’s SAVE LIVES: Clean Your Hands 2017 Campaign has a great set of resources including advocacy posters, slide sets, activity toolkits and much more!
- Join the conversation: Take the conversation online using the hashtags #handhygiene and #antibioticresistance