Final Report of the Five-Year Peer Review Panel on PHO now available
An international panel of experts has evaluated Public Health Ontario’s first five years of operations, commending the organization on its many successes and accomplishments. The Report of the Peer Review Panel on Public Health Ontario is now available here.
The Peer Review Panel states that PHO is a highly effective organization and remarks that “Public Health Ontario is giving excellent leadership to the public health mission in Ontario.”
Fiscal year 2012-13 marks the fourth year of PHO’s operation, and the fifth since the passage of the legislation that established PHO on June 4, 2007. The Board of Directors charged the Panel with evaluating how well PHO is fulfilling its mandate and to offer recommendations for future development. The Panel was composed of three internationally recognized public health experts:
- Dr. Ruth Berkelman, Professor and Director, Center for Public Health Preparedness and Research, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia,
- Dr. Paul Cosford, Executive Director, Health Protection Agency, London, England, and
- Dr. Perry Kendall, Provincial Health Officer, Victoria, British Columbia
In the course of its evaluation, the Panel visited PHO’s head offices at 480 University and its Toronto laboratory and reviewed background materials including:
- Feedback from a broad client satisfaction survey and in-depth key informant interviews conducted in Spring 2012,
- Results of a PHO Laboratory Assessment conducted in February 2012, and
- A Self-Study Report describing PHO’s own assessment of its progress.
The Panel’s report highlights PHO’s many accomplishments over the past five years, gives recommendations for potential improvements and identifies opportunities for future growth.
The Peer Review Panel’s report will inform PHO’s future directions, notably PHO’s 2014-2019 strategic plan.
Thank you to all who participated in this important exercise. We look forward to further input and participation as we develop the next strategic plan and continue to deliver on our mandate to provide scientific and technical advice to those working to protect and promote the health of Ontario.