Dr. Andrea Boggild
Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention
ON WHY PUBLIC HEALTH ONTARIO IS IMPORTANT
"Being able to make a provincial-level impact, as well as making a positive impact on the lives of Ontarians."
Areas of Expertise
- tropical medicine
- travel and migration medicine
- global health
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Master of Science (Parasitology), Auburn University
- Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Gorgas Memorial Institute and the Instituto de Medicina Tropical “Alexander von Humboldt”
- Fellow, The Royal College of Physicians of Canada, (Medical Microbiology) University of Toronto
PHO Research Interests
- optimization of diagnostic testing in parasitology
- malaria surveillance
- epidemiology, pathogenesis, and diagnosis of leishmaniasis
PHO Research Activities
- Validation of commercial enzyme immunoassays for helminth serology.
- Evaluation of multiplex molecular platforms for rapid detection of enteric.
- Parasitic pathogens Optimization of molecular diagnosis of malaria.
- Monitoring laboratory characteristics of imported malaria to Ontario (including markers of drug resistance).
- Surveillance of illness in returned Canadian travelers via CanTravNet-Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Development of a molecular diagnostic algorithm for detection and species identification of Leishmania.
- Investigating the role of Leishmania RNA virus-1 in the Pathogenesis of Cutaneous Leishmaniasis.
- Discovering the spectrum of represented pathogens in febrile returned travelers.
- Kariyawasam R, Grewal J, Lau R, Purssell A, Valencia BM, Llanos-Cuentas A, Boggild AK. Influence of Leishmania RNA virus-1 on pro-inflammatory biomarker expression in a human macrophage model of American tegumentary leishmaniasis. J Infect Dis. 2017;216(7):877-86.
- Purssell A, Lau R, Boggild AK. Azithromycin and doxycycline attenuation of Acanthamoeba virulence in a human corneal tissue model. J Infect Dis. 2017;215(8):1303-11.
- Dong MD, Karsenti N, Lau R, Ralevski F, Cheema K, Burton L, Klowak M, Boggild AK. Strongyloidiasis in Ontario: performance of diagnostic tests over a 14-month period. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2016;14(6):625-9.
- Phuong M, Lau R, Ralevski F, Boggild AK. Parasitologic correlates of Plasmodium ovale curtisi and Plasmodium ovale wallikeri infection. Malaria J. 2016;15(1):550.
- Kariyawasam R, Lau R, Eshaghi A, Patel S, Sider D, Gubbay J, Boggild AK. Spectrum of viralpathogens in blood of malaria-free ill travelers returning to Canada. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22(5):854-61.
Updated 22 Oct 2019
You need a MyPHO Account to save this page.
You have successfully created a MyPHO account!
Use MyPHO to save content relevant to you, take online courses and register for subscriptions.