Dr. Bryna Warshawsky
Public Health Physician
Communicable Diseases, Emergency Preparedness and Response
"PHO has made such a significant impact in supporting the work of local public health in Ontario. It is a privilege to work at PHO and to support local public health and other health care providers through direct consultation, knowledge translation and exchange and research."
Areas of Expertise
- communicable disease prevention and control
- outbreak management
- vaccine-preventable diseases
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, McGill University
- Certificate, College of Family Practice of Canada, University of Toronto
- Master of Health Science (Community Health and Epidemiology), University of Toronto
- Fellow, The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Community Medicine/Public Health and Preventive Medicine)
PHO Research Interests
- influenza epidemiology
- influenza vaccine and vaccination programs
- hepatitis C epidemiology
- outbreak investigations
PHO Research Activities
- Influenza immunization—Assessing the indirect or herd effect of influenza immunization.
- Influenza immunization—Assessing the impact of repeated influenza vaccination on vaccine effectiveness.
- Influenza epidemiology—Assessing the burden of influenza outbreaks in hospitals.
- Hepatitis C— Assessing the potential role for public health in supporting treatment initiation and adherence.
- Rabies—Assessing public health practices with regard to rabies post-exposure prophylaxis management.
- Outbreaks—summarizing a listeriosis outbreak.
- Murti M, Whelan M, Friedman L, Savic J, Johnstone J, Sider D, Warshawsky B. Influenza outbreaks in Ontario hospitals, 2012–2016. Can Commun Dis Rep. 2018;44(9):201-5.
- Buchan S, Booth S, Scott AN, Simmonds KA, Svenson LW, Drews SJ, Russell ML, Crowcroft NS, Loeb M, Warshawsky BF, Kwong J. Effectiveness of live attenuated vs inactivated influenza vaccines in children during the 2012-2013 through 2015-2016 influenza seasons in Alberta, Canada: a Canadian Immunization Research Network (CIRN) study. JAMA Pediatr. 2018;172(9):e181514.
- Middleton D, Edwin JJ, Johnson KO, Warshawsky BF. A descriptive analysis of rabies post-exposure prophylaxis data: 2013, Ontario, Canada. Zoonoses Public Health. 2018;65(1):e66-e78.
- Van Meer R, Hohenadel K, Fitzgerald-Husek A, Warshawsky B, Sider D, Schwartz B, et al. Zika virus in Ontario: evaluating a rapid risk assessment tool for emerging infectious disease threats. Health Secur. 2017;15(3):230-7.
- Hobbs JL, Warshawsky B, Maki A, Zittermann S, Murphy A, Majury A, et al. Nuggets of wisdom: Salmonella enteritidis outbreaks and the case for new rules on uncooked frozen processed chicken. J Food Prot. 2017;80(4):703-9.