Dr. Gary Garber
Infection Prevention and Control
"I have worked in the hospital and academic/university environment for years. PHO provides the opportunity to have an impact on patient care while working with exciting and motivated colleagues to achieve a common goal of improving the health of Ontarians."
Areas of Expertise
- infectious diseases
- infection prevention and control
- public health
- viral hepatitis
- sexually transmitted infection (Trichomonas vaginalis)
Infectious Diseases Physician, The Ottawa Hospital
Cross Appointment: School of Epidemiology & Public Health, University of Ottawa
Member, School of Graduate Studies, University of Ottawa
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Calgary
- Fellow, The Royal College of Physicians of Canada, Internal Medicine
- Diplomate, The American College of Physicians
- Certificate of Special Competence (Infectious Diseases), The Royal College of Physicians of Canada
- Fellow, The American College of Physicians
- Fellow, The Infectious Disease Society of America
- Canadian Certified Physician Executive
PHO Research Interests
- Infection prevention and control
- Antimicrobial stewardship
- Viral hepatitis
- Multidisciplinary care of hard to serve populations
- Management of nosocomial infections in immunocompromised individuals (HIV, care)
PHO Research Activities
- Vancomycin-resistant Enterococci (VRE) bacteremia: Impact on discontinuation of screening in four teaching hospitals in Ontario.
- C. Difficile: Where is the reservoir of infection?
- Development of a health care-associated infections (HAI) surveillance program for Ontario.
- Seroprevalence of hepatitis C in Ontario.
- Improving antimicrobial use in long-term care
- Johnstone J, Chen C, Rosella L, Adomako K, Policarpio ME, Lam F, Prematunge C, Garber G; Ontario VRE Investigators. Patient- and hospital-level predictors of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus (VRE) bacteremia in Ontario, Canada. Am J Infect Control. 2018 Jun 11 [Epub ahead of print].
- Langford BJ, Wu JH, Brown KA, Wang X, Leung V, Tan C, Garber G, et al. Assessing the impact of antibiotic stewardship program elements on antibiotic use across acute-care hospitals: an observational study. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018;39(8):941-6.
- Bolotin S, Feld JJ, Garber G, William WWL, Guerra FM, Mazzulli T. Population-based estimate of hepatitis C virus prevalence in Ontario, Canada. PLoS One. 2018;13(1):e0191184.
- Johnstone J, Policarpio ME, Lam F, Adomako K, Prematunge C, Nadolny E, Li Y, Brown K, Kerr E, Garber G. Rates of blood cultures positive for vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus in Ontario: a quasi-experimental study. CMAJ Open. 2017;5:E273-80.
- Smith JD, MacDougall CC, Johnstone J, Copes RA, Schwartz B, Garber GE. Effectiveness of N95 respirators versus surgical masks in protecting health care workers from acute respiratory infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. CMAJ. 2016;188(8):567-74.