Dr. Lee Goneau
Public Health Ontario Laboratory
"PHO enables an incredible breadth of scientific inquiry and collaboration with colleagues, motivated by challenges faced by our public health partners. The ability to investigate the microbiological, clinical and public health dimensions of sexually transmitted infections and foodborne outbreaks and to develop knowledge and tools to enhance our provincial capacity establishes a firm foundation for our role as an internationally recognized institution of public health research."
Areas of Expertise
- molecular Epidemiology
- viral Hepatitis
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Bachelor of Health Science, Honours (Biochemistry and Genetics), University of Western Ontario
- Doctor of Philosophy (Microbiology and Immunology), University of Western Ontario
- Fellow, Canadian College of Microbiologists, University of Toronto
PHO Research Interests
- Population-level molecular characterization of viruses during outbreaks.
- Intra-host evolution of viral quasispecies and impact on virulence and pathogenesis.
- Next-generation sequencing solutions for clinical virology.
PHO Research Activities
- Improving the sensitivity of whole-genome sequencing directly from clinical specimens using novel molecular and chemical approaches.
- Characterizing the spectrum of specimen test positivity from symptom onset for a variety of viral infections in order to better assist with clinical decision-making.
- Evaluating and implementing next-generation sequencing technology for clinical use.
- Improving public health response to viral outbreaks using next-generation sequencing approaches.
- Characterizing the molecular evolution of Zika virus during the recent Latin American outbreak and evaluating the impact on virulence and pathogenesis.
- Campigotto A, Goneau L, Matukas LM. Direct identification and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of microorganisms from positive blood cultures following isolation by lysis-centrifugation. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2018;S0732-8893(18):30196-2.
- Mehta K, Goneau LW, Wong J, L'Huillier AG, Gubbay JB. Zoonotic influenza and human health-part 2: clinical features, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention strategies. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2018;20(10):38.
- Goneau LW, Mehta K, Wong J, L'Huillier AG, Gubbay JB. Zoonotic influenza and human jealth-part 1: virology and epidemiology of zoonotic onfluenzas. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2018;20(10):37.
- Kozak RA, Majer A, Biondi MJ, Medina SJ, Goneau LW, Sajesh BV, et al. MicroRNA and mRNA dysregulation in astrocytes Infected with Zika virus. Viruses. 2017;9(10):297.
- L'Huillier AG, Hamid-Allie A, Kristjanson E, Papageorgiou L, Hung S, Wong CF, Stein DR, Olsha R, Goneau LW, Dimitrova K, Drebot M, Safronetz D, Gubbay JB. Evaluation of Euroimmun anti-Zika virus IgM and IgG enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays for Zika virus serologic testing. J Clin Microbiol. 2017;55(8):2462-71.