Dr. Nicholas Brandon
Public Health Physician
Communicable Diseases, Emergency Preparedness and Response
"Working at PHO is an incredible opportunity to serve the population of Ontario by providing scientific and technical advice in the management and prevention of communicable diseases. In my role, I collaborate with colleagues in PHO, as well as with public health units and organizations, government, health system providers and academic researchers, to understand the epidemiology of communicable diseases, which is then used to help improve the health of the population of Ontario."
Areas of Expertise
- communicable disease control, prevention and outbreak management
- epidemiology and mixed methods research
- public health and medical education
- primary care medicine
- environment and health/one health
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Ottawa
- Master of Science (Public Health and Health Systems), University of Waterloo
- Master of Arts (Criticism and Theory), University of Exeter
- Certification in the College of Family Physicians, College of Family Physicians of Canada
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada in Public Health and Preventive Medicine, The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
PHO Research Interests
- outbreak management and the prevention and control of communicable diseases
- epidemiology and surveillance of infectious diseases including bacterial sexually transmitted infections, invasive group a streptococcus, zoonoses and vectorborne diseases
- public health evidence use, knowledge translation and dissemination
- impact of environmental and social determinants of health on communicable disease incidence
PHO Research Activities
- Providing scientific and technical advice on communicable disease outbreak management and prevention.
- Collaborating on research on the surveillance and epidemiology of communicable diseases in Ontario.
- Collaborating on zoonotic and vectorborne disease surveillance and epidemiology.
- Birk-Urovitz E, Shen S, Hu J, Reeve K, Brandon N, Pakes B, et al. Research opportunities for Public Health & Preventive Medicine (PHPM) residents at the University of Toronto: environmental scan & needs assessment. Poster presented at: International Conference on Residency Education (ICRE). 2016 Sep 27; Niagara Falls, ON.
- Brandon N, Misra A, Lobo S, Moon-Colquhoon A, Frenette C, Raju S, et al. Hepatitis C surveillance and linkage to specialist care in Peel Region. Poster presented at: The Ontario Public Health Conference (TOPHC). 2016 Apr 4; Toronto, ON.