Dr. Ray Copes
Environmental and Occupational Health
"PHO is an exciting organization with a mandate to provide the scientific and technical expertise necessary to help protect and promote the health of Ontarians. Our ability to provide health sector support while also working very closely with campus-based research makes us innovative and at the forefront of addressing public health issues."
Areas of Expertise
- exposure and risk assessment
- risk communication
- occupational and environmental medicine
- air pollution
- toxicity of metals
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, McGill University
- Master of Science, McGill University
- Diploma, Industrial Health, University of Toronto
PHO Research Interests
- environmental health systems tracking
- environmental surveillance, air pollution and noise data (traffic)
- environmental burden of illness
PHO Research Activities
- Community exposure to metals.
- Community noise exposure.
- Air pollution-related health effects.
- Rotstein DL, Chen H, Wilton AS, Kwong JC, Marrie RA, Gozdyra P, Krysko KM, Kopp A, Copes R, Tu K. Temporal trends in multiple sclerosis prevalence and incidence in a large population. Neurology. 2018; 90(16) e1435-41.
- Bai L, Burnett RT, Kwong JC, Hystad P, van Donkelaar A, Brook JR, Copes R, Tu K, Goldberg MS, Martin RV, Murray BJ, Wilton AS, Kopp A, Chen H. Long-term exposure to ambient air pollution and incidence of multiple sclerosis:a population-based cohort study. Environ Res. 2018;166:437-43.
- Parnia A, Chakravartty D, Wiseman C, Archbold J, Copes R, Zawar N, et al. Environmental factors associated with blood lead among newcomer women from South and East Asia in the Greater Toronto Area. Sci Total Environ. 2018;624:558-66.
- Bai L, Chen H, Hatzopoulou M, Jerrett M, Kwong J, Burnett R, van Donkelaar A, Copes R, Martin R, Van Ryswyk K, Lu H, Kopp A, Weichenthal S. Exposure to ambient ultrafine particles and nitrogen dioxide and incident hypertension and diabetes. Epidemiology. 2018;29(3):323-32.
- Chen H, Li Q, Kaufman JS, Wang J, Copes R, Su Y, Benmarhnia T. Effect of air quality alerts on human health: a regression discontinuity analysis in Toronto, Canada. Lancet Planet Health. 2018; 2(1): e19-26.