Dr. Saravanamuttu Gnaneshan
Public Health Ontario Laboratory
"My research program is focused on the development, customization and deployment of robust, dynamic, real/near time, innovative, analytical methods and frameworks to rapidly and unambiguously identify and characterize current and emerging pathogens of public health importance."
Areas of Expertise
- computational biology
- public health informatics
- data science
- software engineering
Bachelor of Science (Honours) Special Degree in Biology, University of Jaffna
Doctor of Philosophy in Microbial Genetics, University of Sussex
Master of Science (Course work) in Bioinformatics, Birkbeck College, University of London
PRINCE2 (PRojects IN Controlled Environments) Foundation Certificate
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery (MDCM), McGill University
- Master of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University
- Fellowship in Medical Microbiology, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto
- Fellowship in Infectious Diseases, University Health Network, University of Toronto
- Residency in Internal Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto
PHO Research Interests
- next generation sequence analysis
- viral phylogeny and evolution
- public health data integration and federation
- big- data methodologies
PHO Research Activities
- Developing K-mer based databases and analytical methods
- Developing bioinformatic pipelines to analyze emerging pathogens
- Developing methods for public health data integration
- Investigating cloud based bioinformatics infrastructure development
- Gnaneshan S, Hsueh Y-C, Liang L, Teatero S, Fittipaldi N, Mallo GV. Genome sequence of Listeria monocytogenes strain F6540 (sequence type 360) collected from food samples in Ontario, Canada. Genome Announc. 2016;4(1). pii: e01507-15.
- The International Cancer Genome Consortium, Hudson TJ, Anderson W, Artez A, Barker AD, Bell C, et al. Nature. 2010;464(7291):993-8. Erratum in: Nature. 2010 Jun 17;465(7300):966.
- Gnaneshan S, Brown KE, Green J, Brown DW. On-line global/WHO-European regional measles nucleotide surveillance. Euro Surveill. 2008;13(19):pii:18861.
- Myers R, Gnaneshan S, Ijaz S, Tedder R, Ramsay M, Green J; HepSEQ Steering Committee. HepSEQ - an integrated hepatitis B epidemiology and sequence analysis platform. Euro Surveill. 2008;13(19):pii:18866.
- Gnaneshan S, Ijaz S, Moran J, Ramsay M, Green J. HepSEQ: international public health repository for hepatitis B. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35(Database issue):D367-70.