Dr. Shelley Deeks
Chief Health Protection Officer
"PHO has grown and evolved into one of this country’s public health leaders and allows for me to contribute credible scientific and technical advice to help advance public health immunization research and practice across the province. I feel fortunate to be a part of a centre of expertise dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians through the application and advancement of science and knowledge."
Areas of Expertise
- communicable disease control and outbreak investigations
- vaccine safety
- epidemiology and program evaluation
- public health
- human papillomavirus vaccine
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Master of Health Sciences (Community Health and Epidemiology), University of Toronto
- Fellow, The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC)
- Fellow, Australian Faculty of Public Health Medicine (FAFPHM)
PHO Research Interests
- Applied public health research specifically with a focus on immunization and vaccine-preventable diseases (VPD), disease control and outbreak management, and vaccine program evaluation.
- Participation in the Canadian Immunization Research Network.
PHO Research Activities
- Providing medical and scientific leadership and support on the development, research, and evaluation of vaccine and immunization programs across Ontario.
- Investigating the impact of rotavirus immunization on acute gastroenteritis in Ontario.
- Involvement in studies with the Special Immunization Clinic and Provincial Collaborative Networks of the Canadian Immunization Research Network.
- Use of passive vaccine safety surveillance data to assess vaccine safety in Ontario.
- Providing scientific and technical advice in the area of outbreak investigation.
- Thomas S, Hiebert J, Gubbay JB, Gournis E, Sharron J, Severini A, Jiaravuthisan M, Shane A, Jaeger V, Crowcroft NS, Fediurek J, Sander B, Mazzulli T, Schulz H, Deeks SL. Measles outbreak with unique virus genotyping, Ontario, Canada, 2015. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23(7):1063-9.
- Hawken S, Ducharme R, Rosella LC, Benchimol EI, Langley JM, Wilson K, Crowcroft NS, Halperin SA, Desai S, Naus M, Sanford CJ, Mahmud SM, Deeks SL. Assessing the risk of intussusception and rotavirus vaccine safety in Canada. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2017;13(3):703-10.
- Guerra FM, Rosella LC, Dunn S, Wilson SE, Chen C, Deeks SL. Early impact of Ontario's human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination program on anogenital warts (AGWs): a population-based assessment. Vaccine. 2016;34(39):4678-83.
- Wilson SE, Rosella LC, Wang J, Le Saux N, Crowcroft NS, Harris T, Bolotin S, Deeks SL. Population-level impact of Ontario's infant rotavirus immunization program: evidence of direct and indirect effects. PLoS One. 2016;11(5):e0154340.
- Wormsbecker AE, Wang J, Rosella LC, Kwong JC, Seo CY, Crowcroft NS, Deeks SL. Twenty years of medically-attended pediatric varicella and herpes zoster in Ontario, Canada: a population-based study. PLoS One. 2015;10(7):e0129483. Erratum in: PLoS One. 2015;10(9):e0138397.