We operate one of the largest public health laboratory systems in the world with 11 locations across Ontario. We are at the forefront of laboratory technology, testing and research.
We provide services to clinicians in primary care and hospitals as well as for Ontario’s public health units, including:
- clinical and environmental testing
- clinical consultation
- technical and customer service support
- education and training programs for laboratory professionals
- evaluation of new laboratory technologies and methodologies
To prepare for and respond to emergencies, our team:
- provides laboratory surveillance
- tests for bioterrorism
- investigates outbreaks
- supports and contributes resources to incident management
Public Health Laboratories at a Glance
272 tests available
5.5 million tests per year
APPROX. 10,000 specimens per day
Look inside PHO’s laboratory
Updated 31 March 2022
You need a MyPHO Account to save this page.
Log in to MyPHO
Don’t have a MyPHO account? Register Now
You have successfully created a MyPHO account!
Use MyPHO to save content relevant to you, take online courses and register for subscriptions.