Blastomycosis is an infection caused by the fungus, Blastomyces dermatitidis, that grows most commonly in moist soil and decomposing wood and leaves. If this environment is disturbed (e.g., through activities such as camping, digging/gardening, dirt/mountain biking), tiny fungal spores may be released into the air which can lead to infection if inhaled. Symptoms may develop between three weeks to three months following exposure and commonly include fever, cough, extreme fatigue, night sweats, muscle aches, and joint pain; however, about 50% of those infected will not become ill. The infection cannot be spread from one person to another. Some people, such as those who are immunocompromised, may develop severe disease requiring hospitalization.


Chat icon

Contact the Department

Health Protection

Updated 15 Dec 2023