Dr. Kevin Brown
"PHO is the perfect base for a researcher that wants to have a real impact on the health of Ontarians. At PHO we interact with a wide range of health workers, clinicians and researchers from across the province, so our research stays grounded and is swiftly translated into practice and policy."
Areas of Expertise
- hospital-acquired infection
- C. difficile
- health services research
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Philosophy (Epidemiology), Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
- Master of Science (Biostatistics), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
PHO Research Interests
- Validating medico-administrative and electronic medical record data.
- Identifying facility factors that drive hospital-acquired infection rates.
- Describing patient movement between healthcare facilities and the community.
- Statistical methods for measuring risk factor magnitude and duration.
PHO Research Activities
- Measuring the microbial burden of C. difficile spores on hospital surfaces and in the air and its role in onward transmission of C. difficile and using this information to inform infection control practice.
- Understanding how health care facility antibiotic prescribing patterns and interfacility patient movement impacts the incidence and spread of hospital acquired infections in Ontario.
- Stevens VW, Nelson RE, Schwab-Daugherty EM, Khader K, Joines MM, Brown KA, et al. Comparative effectiveness of vancomycin and metronidazole for the prevention of recurrence and death in patients with Clostridium difficile infection. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177(4):546-53.
- Fisman DN, Tuite AR, Brown KA. Impact of El Niño Southern Oscillation on infectious disease hospitalization risk in the United States. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2016;113(51):14589-94.
- Brown KA, Jones M, Daneman N, Daneman N, Adler FR, Stevens V, et al. Importation, antibiotics, and Clostridium difficile infection in veteran long-term care: a multilevel case–control study. Ann Intern Med. 2016;164(12):787-94.
- Brown K, Valenta K, Fisman D, Simor A, Daneman N. Hospital ward antibiotic prescribing and the risks of Clostridium difficile infection. JAMA Intern Med. 2015;175(4):626-33.
- Brown KA, Khanafer N, Daneman N, Fisman DN. Meta-analysis of antibiotics and the risk of community-associated Clostridium difficile infection. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 2013;57(5):2326-32.