Dr. Kevin Schwartz
"A PHO appointment allows me to advance public health evidence and knowledge through studying antibiotic use in Ontario. Our research program will provide evidence to support a community antimicrobial stewardship program that will improve antibiotic use and slow the development of antimicrobial resistance."
Areas of Expertise
- antimicrobial stewardship
- administrative data
Infectious Disease Consultant, St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Toronto
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Master of Science (Epidemiology), University of Toronto
- Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (Topical Medicine), The Gorgas course in Peru
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (Pediatrics), University of Calgary
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (Infectious Diseases), University of Toronto
PHO Research Interests
- Vaccine preventable diseases and antimicrobial stewardship with a particular focus on improving community antibiotic use to slow the emergence of drug resistant infections.
PHO Research Activities
- Evaluating community antibiotic use with administrative datasets.
- Examining predictors of physician variability in suboptimal antibiotic prescribing.
- Investigating community antibiotic appropriateness through the Ontario Program To Improve AntiMIcrobial USE (OPTIMISE).
- Collaborating on antibiotic peer-comparison feedback trials.
- Collaborating on the PHO long-term care urinary tract infections program.
- Schwartz KL, Achonu C, Brown KA, Langford B, Daneman N, Johnstone J, et al. Regional variability in outpatient antibiotic use in Ontario, Canada: a retrospective cross-sectional study. CMAJ Open. 2018;6(4):E445-52.
- Schwartz KL, Morris SK. Travel and the spread of drug-resistant bacteria. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2018;20(9):29.
- Fernandez-Lazaro CI, Brown KA, Langford BJ, Daneman N, Garber G, Schwartz KL. Late-career physicians prescribe longer courses of antibiotics. CMAJ. 2019 Jan 7 [Epub ahead of print].
- Schwartz KL, Wilton AS, Langford BJ, Brown KA, Daneman N, Garber G, et al. Comparing prescribing and dispensing databases to study antibiotic use: a validation study of the Electronic Medical Record Administrative data Linked Database (EMRALD). J Antimicrob Chemother. 2019 Feb 25 [Epub ahead of print].
- Schwartz KL, Brown KA, Etches J, Langford BJ, Daneman N, Tu K, et al. Predictors and variability of antibiotic prescribing amongst family physicians. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2019 Apr 19 [Epub ahead of print].