COVID-19 and Respiratory Viruses PCR Nasopharyngeal Collection Instructions
- The patient should NOT eat, drink, chew gum, smoke, or vape for at least 30 minutes before collecting the specimen.
- Wash your hands and wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). This can include a protective gown, gloves, a face mask, and a face shield.
- Label a test tube with the patient’s full name, date of collection and one other unique identifier such as the patient’s date of birth or Health Card Number.
- Failure to provide all required information may result in testing disqualification or delay.
- Do not bend the swab shaft instead of breaking it.
- Failure to recap the test tube properly may result in leakage and testing disqualification.
- To maintain optimum viability, the specimen should be stored and transported at 2-8°C. If transport to the laboratory will be delayed for longer than 72 hours, specimen should be frozen at -70°C or below and shipped on dry ice.
Storage of unused kits
Unused kits should be stored at 2-25°C until used. Improper storage will result in a loss of efficacy. Kits should only be stored up until their expiry date.
Some collection kits may have expiration dates extensions beyond the manufacturer label. The list of expiry extensions for COVID-19 testing products is available through the Ontario Health COVID-19 Health System Response Materials page.
Only swabs designed for nasopharyngeal collection (see PHO’s COVID-19 PCR Collection Kitspage for details) should be used. Caution and clinical judgment may be advised when swabbing individuals with recent facial trauma, severe epistaxis, and/or significant abnormality of the nasopharyngeal anatomy.
- Marty FM, Chen K, Verrill KA. How to obtain a nasopharyngeal swab specimen [video recording on the Internet]. Waltham, MA: N Engl J Med; 2020 [cited 2021 Feb 01]. 5 min.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Nasopharyngeal (NP) specimen collection steps [Internet]. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2020 [cited 2021 Feb 01]