Dr. Laura Bourns
Public Health Physician
It is a privilege to be involved in the work that PHO does to provide scientific and technical advice to support the work being done by government, public health units and many other organizations to build a healthier Ontario. The work is unique and interesting and there are so many opportunities for on-going learning and collaboration.
Areas of Expertise
- communicable disease prevention and control
- outbreak management
- blood-borne infections, respiratory diseases
- infectious disease surveillance and epidemiology
Clinical Sciences Division, Northern Ontario School of Medicine - (Pending)
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Bachelor of Science (Life Sciences), Queen’s University
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Ottawa
- Public Health and Preventive Medicine Residency Program, University of Ottawa
- Fellow, The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (RCPSC), Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- Certification in the College of Family Physicians (CCFP)
PHO Research Interests
- communicable and infectious diseases epidemiology
- outbreak investigations
- infection prevention and control
- sexually transmitted infections
PHO Research Activities
- communicable disease prevention and control – impact of public health measures for COVID-19 in schools (collaboration)
- sexual health and STI prevention (collaboration)
- Wormsbecker AE, Johnson C, Bourns L, Harris T, Crowcroft NS, Deeks SL. Demonstration of background rates of three conditions of interest for vaccine safety surveillance. PLoS One. 2019;14(1):e0210833.
- Schwartz KL, Murti M, Finkelstein M, Leis JA, Fitzgerald-Husek A, Bourns L, et al. Lack of COVID-19 transmission on an international flight. CMAJ. 2020;192(15):E410.
- Hopkins J, Cheng L, Berg E, Kang A, Kaushal S, Khoee K, Bourns L, Maver R, Bergstrom K, Munro A, Higgins A, Baker S, Anonymous; City of Hamilton Public Health Services; McMaster University, Master of Public Health (MPH) Program. Hamilton supervised injection site: needs assessment & feasibility study. Hamilton, ON: City of Hamilton; 2017.