Dr. Vincent Spilchuk
Physician, Occupational Medicine Consultant
Environmental and Occupational Health
Occupational and environmental health remains an underappreciated area of scientific enquiry. However when individuals or communities become aware of an environmental or occupational exposure impacting their lives and workplaces, I know that expertise in this field can be invaluable to assessing, interpreting, communicating, and mitigating risk. I view my role as supporting our mandate to provide the most up-to-date, evidence-based knowledge and technical support to enable Ontarians to continue to lead safe and healthy lives at home, in their communities, and at work.
Areas of Expertise
- heavy metals toxicology
- occupational disease
- environmental disease
- workplace health and safety
- general internal medicine
Assistant professor (adjunct), Department of Medicine, Division of Occupational Medicine, University of Toronto
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Internal medicine, Occupational medicine)
- Master of Sciences in Community Health, University of Toronto
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan
- Master of Arts (Ethnomusicology), University of Toronto
- Bachelor of Music, University of Toronto
PHO Research Interests
- metals toxicology
- health effects of electromagnetic fields
- occupational health, primary prevention in the workplace
- environmental health
PHO Research Activities
- advising on public health investigation of metals exposure
- examining electromagnetic fields health effects
- investigating the health effects of wind turbines
- investigating the toxicology of arsenic, sodium, lead in drinking water
- investigating the toxicology of hydrocarbons in drinking water
- examining the risk of cancer associated with exposure to trihalomethanes in drinking water
- examining the risk for COVID-19 transmission during music performance
- investigating evidence-based methods for respiratory mask re-processing
- Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion (Public Health Ontario), Spilchuk V, Scott J, Summerbell R, Benusic M, Kim JH, et al. Evidence brief: foraged mushroom consumption in Ontario. Toronto, ON: Queen's Printer for Ontario; 2019.
- Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion (Public Health Ontario), Spilchuk V. Fact sheet: lead exposure from Ayurvedic medicines. Toronto, ON: Queen's Printer for Ontario; 2019.
- Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion (Public Health Ontario), Lim M, Spilchuk V. Focus on: face shields for source control of COVID-19. Toronto, ON: Queen's Printer for Ontario; 2020.
- Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion (Public Health Ontario), Kim JH, Spilchuk V, Sahai D. Focus on: COVID-19 in dental care settings. Toronto, ON: Queen's Printer for Ontario; 2020.