Gastric Lavage Kit order#: 390043
This supply pack is sufficient for one Mycobacterium tuberculosis test containing one sterile container with 0.75 ml of 38% Disodium phosphate (acid neutralizer) and dye and one General Test Requisition.
NOTE: If collecting three specimens by Gastric Lavage, you will require three separate Gastric Lavage Kits
- Open the pouched seal pack and aseptically remove the container from the package.
- It is ideal to collect fasting early-morning specimens on 3 consecutive days. Collect each specimen in the morning soon after patient awakens in order to obtain sputum swallowed during sleep. Specimen volume should be 20-50ml.
- Add the specimen to the container and swirl the specimen in the container in order to neutralize the acidity.
- Replace cap on container closing tightly.
- Label the specimen container with the patient’s full name, date of collection and one other unique identifier such as the patient’s date of birth or Health Card Number. Failure to provide this information may result in rejection or testing delay.
- Complete all fields of the requisition: include, the patient’s full name, date of birth, Health Card Number (must match the specimen label), enter ‘Mycobacterium tuberculosis’ under test description, source of specimen, date of onset, date of collection, physician name and address, and clinical diagnosis.
- Place a single specimen container in a biohazard bag and seal bag.
- Insert the completed requisition in the pocket on the outside of each sealed biohazard bag.
- Repeat steps 2 - 8 for specimens collected on the second and third days.
- Transport collected specimen(s) to the laboratory as soon as possible after collection. If transport is delayed more than one hour the specimen must be refrigerated.
- For further information about Mycobacterium tuberculosis specimen collection and testing refer to the Test Directory Index.
Storage of unused kits:
The kits can be stored at room temperature with stated expiry date - DO NOT USE EXPIRED KITS