Neisseria gonorrhoeae Culture Kit (6-Pack) order#: 390051
This supply pack is sufficient for six Neisseria gonorrhoeae cultures containing six Amies Charcoal transport media with large swabs for the collection of endocervical or anal specimens, and six General Test Requisition (male urethral swabs not included).
If required, the collection kit also includes six slides and six cotton tipped swabs for preparing slide examinations for the additional detection of Neisseria gonorrhoeae from male urethral specimens or the detection of Bacterial Vaginosis, Yeast cells and Trichomonas vaginalis from female vaginal specimens.
- Open the pouched seal pack and aseptically remove the sterile swab from the package.
- Collect the specimen from the site involved (see reverse for specific site instructions) as early as possible following the onset of symptoms.
- After collecting the specimen, it is essential that the swab be placed in the transport medium immediately.
- Aseptically remove cap from vial and insert swab in medium.
- Break swab shaft evenly at the scored line well below the cap and replace cap to vial closing tightly. The shaft of the swab should fit completely inside the transport medium vial to avoid leaking.
- Label the specimen container with the patient’s full name, date of collection and one other unique identifier such as the patient’s date of birth or Health Card Number. Failure to provide this information may result in rejection or testing delay.
- Complete all fields of the requisition: include, the patient’s full name, date of birth, Health Card Number (must match the specimen label), enter ‘Neisseria gonorrhoeae’ under test description, source of specimen, date of onset, date of collection, physician name and address, and clinical diagnosis.
- Place specimen in the biohazard bag and seal bag.
- Insert the completed requisition in the pocket on the outside of the sealed biohazard bag.
- To maintain optimum viability, the specimen should be stored at room temperature or incubated at 35 – 37°C and transported to the laboratory for processing within 72 hours of collection.
- For further information about Neisseria gonorrhoeae culture specimen collection and testing refer to the Test Directory Index.
Storage of unused kits:
The kits can be stored at room temperature with stated expiry date - DO NOT USE EXPIRED KITS.