Dr. Michelle Science
“In my role as IPAC Physician at Public Health Ontario, I am able to conduct research to inform pediatric infection prevention in children, increasing our understanding and the impacts of optimizing preventative measures needed to protect this vulnerable sector. I enjoy being part of a strong Public Health team with access to and expertise with provincial databases and collaborating with acute care and other sectors to develop ideas and new approaches. By working together with community and healthcare partners, at Public Health Ontario I am able to contribute to research and guidance informing pediatric infection prevention and control practice in Ontario.”
Areas of Expertise
- Infectious Disease
- Infection Prevention and Control
Pediatric Infectious Diseases Physician, Division of Infectious Diseases, The Hospital for Sick Children
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Master of Science (Epidemiology), McMaster University
- Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (Topical Medicine), The Gorgas course in Peru
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (Pediatrics), University of Toronto
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (Infectious Diseases), University of Toronto
PHO Research Interests
- Pediatric Infectious Disease
- Vaccine Preventable Disease and Infant Immunity
- Pediatric Infection Prevention and Control
PHO Research Activities
- SARS-CoV-2 Seroprevalence in Healthcare Workers
- Infant Immunity to Vaccine Preventable Diseases (measles, mumps and rubella)
- Infection Prevention and Control of Viral Infections in Children
- Paul LA, Daneman N, Schwartz KL, Science M, Brown KA, Whelan M, et al. Association of age and pediatric household transmission of SARS-CoV-2 infection. JAMA Pediatr. 2021;175(11):1151-8.
- Science M, Bolotin S, Silverman M, Nadarajah J, Maguire B, Parekh RS, et al. SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in Ontario health care workers during and after the first wave of the pandemic: a cohort study. CMAJ Open. 2021;9(4):E929-39.
- Science M, Savage R, Severini A, McLachlan E, Hughes SL, Arnold C, et al. Measles antibody levels in young infants. Pediatrics. 2019;144(6):e20190630.
- Science M, Thampi N, Bitnun A, Allen U, Birken C, Blackman N, et al. School operation for the 2021-2022 academic year in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Science Briefs of the Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table. 2021;2(38):1-40.