Dr. Anna Majury
Public Health Ontario Laboratory
ON WHY PUBLIC HEALTH ONTARIO IS IMPORTANT
"I am a true “One Health” practitioner and PHO has provided me with an incredible opportunity to draw upon all of my education and experiences to embrace the entire human-animal-environmental public health continuum, which is a strong focus of our organization. Moreover, PHO fosters a culture of extraordinary thinking. Innovation, teaching, education, research and exemplary clinical standards are nurtured, encouraged and strongly and positively supported by PHO. PHO is a world-class organization, with world-class leadership and I am both proud and privileged to be a part of it."
Areas of Expertise
- one Health
- environmental microbiology
- pandemic influenza
- infectious diseases epidemiology
- zoonotic diseases
- food and waterborne pathogens
- veterinary infectious diseases
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Philosophy (Microbiology and Immunology), Queen’s University
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (Veterinary Medicine and Surgery), University of Guelph
- Master of Science (Veterinary Immunology and Infectious Diseases), University of Guelph
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Clinician Scientist Fellowship, Queen’s University
- Fellowship (Clinical Microbiology), University of Toronto
PHO Research Interests
- water in marginalized and indigenous context
- health policy
- food and waterborne pathogens
PHO Research Activities
- Investigating the linkage between laboratory and epidemiologic surveillance as an early alert for influenza activity using self-testing results from callers to Telehealth.
- Investigating the implications of both testing and consumption related to metagenomics of drinking well water in Ontario.
- Examining drinking well water quality in Ontario via a geospatial, clinical and statistical analysis of contamination.
- Using social hydrology and basic science to examine water related vulnerabilities across the one health paradigm.
- Latchmore T, Schuster-Wallace CJ, Longboat DR, Dickson-Anderson SE, Majury A. Critical elements for local indigenous water security in Canada: a narrative review. J Water Health. Forthcoming 2018.
- Hobbs JL, Warshawsky B, Maki A, Zittermann S, Murphy A, Majury A,et al. Nuggets of wisdom: Salmonella Enteritidis outbreaks and the case for new rules on uncooked frozen processed chicken. J Food Protect. 2017;80(4):703-9.
- McGolrick D, Belanger P, Richardson H, Moore K, Maier A, Majury A. Evaluation of self-swabbing coupled with a telephone health helpline as an adjunct tool for surveillance of influenza viruses in Ontario. BMC Public Health. 2016;16(1):1017.
- Krolik J, Maier A, Thompson S, Majury A. Microbial source tracking of private well water samples across at-risk regions in southern Ontario and analysis of traditional fecal indicator bacteria assays including culture and qPCR. J Water Health. 2016;14(6):1047-58.
- Sanderson H, Fricker C, Brown S, Majury A, Liss SN. Antibiotic resistance genes as an emerging environmental contaminant. Environ Rev. 2016;24(2):205-18.
View more publications by Dr. Anna Majury on PubMed.gov
Updated 22 Oct 2019
You need a MyPHO Account to save this page.
Log in to MyPHO
Don’t have a MyPHO account? Register Now
You have successfully created a MyPHO account!
Use MyPHO to save content relevant to you, take online courses and register for subscriptions.