Dr. Kevin Schwartz
ON WHY PUBLIC HEALTH ONTARIO IS IMPORTANT
"A PHO appointment allows me to advance public health evidence and knowledge through studying antibiotic use in Ontario. Our research program will provide evidence to support a community antimicrobial stewardship program that will improve antibiotic use and slow the development of antimicrobial resistance."
Areas of Expertise
- antimicrobial stewardship
- administrative data
Assistant Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
Adjunct Scientist, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences
Infectious Disease Consultant, St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Toronto
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Master of Science (Epidemiology), University of Toronto
- Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (Topical Medicine), The Gorgas course in Peru
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (Pediatrics), University of Calgary
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (Infectious Diseases), University of Toronto
PHO Research Interests
- Vaccine preventable diseases and antimicrobial stewardship with a particular focus on improving community antibiotic use to slow the emergence of drug resistant infections.
PHO Research Activities
- Evaluating community antibiotic use with administrative datasets.
- Examining predictors of physician variability in suboptimal antibiotic prescribing.
- Investigating community antibiotic appropriateness through the Ontario Program To Improve AntiMIcrobial USE (OPTIMISE).
- Collaborating on antibiotic peer-comparison feedback trials.
- Collaborating on the PHO long-term care urinary tract infections program.
- Schwartz KL, Achonu C, Brown KA, Langford B, Daneman N, Johnstone J, et al. Regional variability in outpatient antibiotic use in Ontario, Canada: a retrospective cross-sectional study. CMAJ Open. 2018;6(4):E445-52.
- Schwartz KL, Morris SK. Travel and the spread of drug-resistant bacteria. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2018;20(9):29.
- Fernandez-Lazaro CI, Brown KA, Langford BJ, Daneman N, Garber G, Schwartz KL. Late-career physicians prescribe longer courses of antibiotics. CMAJ. 2019 Jan 7 [Epub ahead of print].
- Schwartz KL, Wilton AS, Langford BJ, Brown KA, Daneman N, Garber G, et al. Comparing prescribing and dispensing databases to study antibiotic use: a validation study of the Electronic Medical Record Administrative data Linked Database (EMRALD). J Antimicrob Chemother. 2019 Feb 25 [Epub ahead of print].
- Schwartz KL, Brown KA, Etches J, Langford BJ, Daneman N, Tu K, et al. Predictors and variability of antibiotic prescribing amongst family physicians. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2019 Apr 19 [Epub ahead of print].
Updated 10 Sep 2021
You need a MyPHO Account to save this page.
Log in to MyPHO
Don’t have a MyPHO account? Register Now
You have successfully created a MyPHO account!
Use MyPHO to save content relevant to you, take online courses and register for subscriptions.