Dr. Kevin Schwartz
Infection Prevention and Control
"A PHO appointment allows me to advance public health evidence and knowledge through studying antibiotic use in Ontario. Our research program will provide evidence to support a community antimicrobial stewardship program that will improve antibiotic use and slow the development of antimicrobial resistance."
Areas of Expertise
- antimicrobial stewardship
- administrative data
Infectious Disease Consultant, St. Joseph’s Health Centre, Toronto
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Master of Science (Epidemiology), University of Toronto
- Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (Topical Medicine), The Gorgas course in Peru
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (Pediatrics), University of Calgary
- Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (Infectious Diseases), University of Toronto
PHO Research Interests
- Vaccine preventable diseases and antimicrobial stewardship with a particular focus on improving community antibiotic use to slow the emergence of drug resistant infections.
PHO Research Activities
- Evaluating community antibiotic use with administrative datasets.
- Examining predictors of physician variability in suboptimal antibiotic prescribing.
- Investigating community antibiotic appropriateness through the Ontario Program To Improve AntiMIcrobial USE (OPTIMISE).
- Collaborating on antibiotic peer-comparison feedback trials.
- Collaborating on the PHO long-term care urinary tract infections program.
- Schwartz KL, Achonu C, Brown KA, Langford B, Daneman N, Johnstone J, et al. Regional variability in outpatient antibiotic use in Ontario, Canada: a retrospective cross-sectional study. CMAJ Open. Forthcoming 2018.
- Schwartz KL, Morris SK. Travel and the spread of drug-resistant bacteria. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2018;20(9):29.
- Tan C, Graves E, Lu H, Chen A, Li S, Schwartz KL, et al. A decade of outpatient antimicrobial use in senior residents of Ontario: a descriptive study. CMAJ Open. 2017;5(4):E878-85.
- Kwong JC, Schwartz KL, Campitelli MA, Chung H, Crowcroft NS, Karnauchow T, et al. Acute myocardial infarction after laboratory-confirmed influenza infection. N Engl J Med. 2018;378:345-53.
- Schwartz KL, Kwong JC, Deeks SL, Campitelli M, Jamieson F, Marchand-Austin A, et al. Effectiveness of pertussis vaccination and duration of immunity. CMAJ. 2016;188(16):E399-406.