Dr. Sarah Buchan
Communicable Diseases, Emergency Preparedness and Response
"PHO promotes the collaboration of those working in research and policy, as well as those on the front-lines of public health, in order to generate the evidence needed to improve the health of those living in Ontario. Working here allows me to focus on answering applied public health questions in order to reduce the burden of infectious diseases and help contribute to this goal.
Areas of Expertise
- vaccine-preventable diseases
- administrative data
Adjunct Scientist, ICES
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Philosophy (Epidemiology), Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
- Master of Science (Global Health and Development), University College London
PHO Research Interests
- use of administrative and laboratory data to study vaccine preventable diseases
- burden of infectious diseases in high-risk populations
- epidemiology of respiratory viruses
- vaccination program evaluation
- vaccine coverage
PHO Research Activities
- Quantifying the burden of herpes zoster in Ontario with a special focus on the immunocompromised population.
- Investigating the long-term burden and cost of severe pediatric respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).
- Collaborating on studies estimating influenza vaccine effectiveness in high risk populations and estimating the impact of repeated influenza vaccination.
- Collaborating on studies examining immunization coverage in Ontario students.
- Buchan SA, Chung H, Karnauchow T, McNally JD, Campitelli MA, Gubbay JB, Katz K, McGeer AJ, Richardson DC, Richardson SE, Simor A, Smieja M, Zahariadis G, Tran D, Crowcroft NS, Rosella LC, Kwong JC. Characteristics and Outcomes of Young Children Hospitalized with Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza or Respiratory Syncytial Virus in Ontario, Canada, 2009-2014. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2018 Aug 27.
- Buchan SA, Booth S, Scott AN, Simmonds KA, Svenson LW, Drews SJ, Russell ML, Crowcroft NS, Loeb M, Warshawsky BF, Kwong JC. Effectiveness of Live Attenuated vs Inactivated Influenza Vaccines in Children During the 2012-2013 Through 2015-2016 Influenza Seasons in Alberta, Canada: A Canadian Immunization Research Network (CIRN) Study. JAMA Pediatr. 2018 Sep 1;172(9):e181514.
- Regan AK, Klein NP, Langley G, Drews SJ, Buchan S, Ball S, Kwong JC, Naleway A, Thompson M, Wyant BE, Levy A, Chung H, Feldman B, Katz M; PREVENT group. Respiratory Syncytial Virus Hospitalization during Pregnancy in Four High-income Countries, 2010-2016. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 May 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Buchan SA, Kwong JC.Trends in influenza vaccine coverage and vaccine hesitancy in Canada, 2006/07 to 2013/14: results from cross-sectional survey data. CMAJ Open. 2016 Aug 19;4(3):E455-E462.
- Schwartz KL, Jembere N, Campitelli MA, Buchan SA, Chung H, Kwong JC. Using physician billing claims from the Ontario Health Insurance Plan to determine individual influenza vaccination status: an updated validation study. CMAJ Open. 2016 Aug 22;4(3):E463-E470.