Dr. Tony Mazzulli
Public Health Ontario Laboratory
"Working at the PHO laboratories gives me the opportunity to be involved with and provide input on the investigation and management of infectious diseases affecting the entire population of Ontario. With the rapidly evolving field of medical microbiology, this allows me to be at the forefront of new and emerging infectious diseases."
Areas of Expertise
- infectious diseases
- medical microbiology
- diagnostic and clinical virology
Professor, Clinician Investigator, Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Toronto
Professor, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto
Program director, Medical Microbiology Training Program, Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
Microbiologist-in-Chief and Infectious Diseases Specialist, Department of Microbiology, Mount Sinai Hospital and University Health Network
Medical director, Diagnostic Microbiology, District Hospital and the ORLSP Timmins Cluster Hospitals of Ontario
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Fellow, American College of Physicians (FACP), Internal Medicine
- Fellow, The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC), Specialist Certificate, Infectious Diseases
- FRCPC, Medical Microbiology
- FRCPC, Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM), Internal Medicine
- Licentiate, Medical Council of Canada (LMCC)
PHO Research Interests
- Anti-viral drug susceptibility and genotype testing, particularly related to hepatitis B and C viruses.
- Mechanisms of anti-viral resistance.
- Rapid diagnostic testing.
PHO Research Activities
- DO IT: Vitamin D Outcomes and Interventions in Toddlers: A TARGet Kids! Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR-funded).
- Risk factors for influenza infection in hospital-based health care workers.
- Primary EBV infection in the immunosuppressed setting of organ transplantation: determinants of virus–host interaction.
- L'Huillier AG, Eshaghi A, Racey CS, Ogbulafor K, Lombos E, Higgins RR, Alexander DC, Kristjanson E, Maregmen J, Gubbay JB, Mazzulli T. Laboratory testing and phylogenetic analysis during a mumps outbreak in Ontario, Canada. Virol J. 2018;15(1):98.
- Bolotin S, Feld JJ, Gary G, William WWL, Guerra FM, Mazzulli T. Population-based estimate of hepatitis C virus prevalence in Ontario, Canada. PLoS One. 2018;13(1):e0191184.
- Maguire JL, Birken CS, Loeb MB, Mamdani M, Thorpe K, Hoch JS, Mazzulli T, Borkhoff CM, Macarthur C, Parkin PC; TARGet Kids! Collaboration. DO IT Trial: vitamin D Outcomes and Interventions in Toddlers - a TARGet Kids! randomized controlled trial. BMC Pediatr. 2014;14:37.
- Kuster SP, Coleman BL, Raboud J, McNeil S, De Serres G, Gubbay J, Hatchette T, Katz KC, Loeb M, Low D, Mazzulli T, Simor A, McGeer AJ; Working Adult Influenza Cohort Study Group. Risk factors for influenza among health care workers during 2009 pandemic, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013; 19(4): 606–15.
Don’t have a MyPHO account? Register Now