Faeces Enteric Bacteriology Kit order#: 390049
This supply pack is sufficient for one Enteric Bacteriology analysis containing one 30mL Cary-Blair vial (green top) and one General Test Requisition.
- Remove the specimen collection vial(s) from the biohazard bag.
- Specimens should be collected from:
- Infants/Toddlers (not toilet trained) – Collect faeces sample from soiled diaper or directly from “potty”.
- Older Children/Adults – Instruct the patient to defecate into a clean container or onto paper which can be flushed into toilet. NOTE: Faeces specimens that have been in contact with water in toilet are unacceptable.
- Open the vial and remove the cap with the spoon attached.
- Using the spoon, select different sites of the faeces, preferably blood, mucus or pus. Add to the fill line indicated. Do not overfill.
- Mix into transport media (jelly-like material) and replace cap securely.
- Label the specimen container with the patient’s full name, date of collection and one other unique identifier such as the patient’s date of birth or Health Card Number. Failure to provide this information may result in rejection or testing delay.
- Complete all fields of the requisition: include, the patient’s full name, date of birth, Health Card Number (must match the specimen label), enter the name of the suspected bacterial agent(s) or ‘Enteric culture’ under test description, source of specimen, date of onset, date of collection, physician name and address, and clinical diagnosis.
- Place the specimen in the biohazard bag and seal the bag.
- Insert the completed requisition in the pocket on the outside of the sealed biohazard bag.
- After collection, refrigerate immediately (do not freeze). Transport to the Laboratory as soon as possible.
- For more information about enteric bacteriology specimen collection and testing, refer to Test Directory Index.
Storage of unused kits
The kits can be stored at room temperature with stated expiry date - DO NOT USE EXPIRED KITS.
Updated 2 Oct 2020
You need a MyPHO Account to save this page.
You have successfully created a MyPHO account!
Use MyPHO to save content relevant to you, take online courses and register for subscriptions.