Virus Culture Kit order#: 390081
This supply pack is sufficient for six virus cultures containing six vials of universal transport media with large swabs and six General Test Requisitions.
- Open the pouched seal pack and aseptically remove the sterile swab from the package.
- Collect the specimen from the site involved as early as possible following the onset of symptoms.
- Aseptically remove cap from vial and insert swab in medium.
- Break swab shaft evenly at the scored line well below the cap and replace cap to vial closing tightly.
- Label the specimen container with the patient’s full name, date of collection and one other unique identifier such as the patient’s date of birth or Health Card Number. Failure to provide this information may result in rejection or testing delay.
- Complete all fields of the requisition: include, the patient’s full name, date of birth, Health Card Number (must match the specimen label), enter ‘Virus Culture’ and the suspected viral agent(s) under test description, source of specimen, date of onset, date of collection, physician name and address, and clinical diagnosis.
- Place specimen in the biohazard bag and seal bag.
- Insert the completed requisition in the pocket on the outside of the sealed biohazard bag.
- To maintain optimum viability, the specimen should be stored and transported at 2 - 8°C or on wet ice to the laboratory for processing within 48 hours of collection.
- For further information about specimen collection and testing of a specific viral agent refer to the Test Directory Index.
Storage of unused kits:
Kits should be stored at 2-25°C until used. Improper storage will result in a loss of efficacy-DO NOT USE EXPIRED KITS.
Updated 4 Sep 2020
You need a MyPHO Account to save this page.
Log in to MyPHO
Don’t have a MyPHO account? Register Now
You have successfully created a MyPHO account!
Use MyPHO to save content relevant to you, take online courses and register for subscriptions.