Virus Culture (Tissue) Kit order#: 390075
Consistent with O. Reg. 671/92 of the French Language Services Act, test ordering and instructions on this page is only available in English because it is scientific or technical in nature and is for use only by qualified health care providers and not by members of the public.
This supply pack is sufficient for one virus culture of a tissue/biopsy sample containing one vial of universal transport media and one General Test Requisition.
Note: This kit is not appropriate for electron microscopy, PCR or direct antigen testing on stool samples. Refer to Virus Enteric Kit (sterile, dry container)
- Collect specimen as early as possible following the onset of symptoms.
- Aseptically remove cap from vial and insert sample into the transport media.
- Replace and tighten cap.
- Label the specimen container with the patient’s full name, date of collection and one other unique identifier such as the patient’s date of birth or Health Card Number. Failure to provide this information may result in rejection or testing delay.
- Complete all fields of the requisition: include, the patient’s full name, date of birth, Health Card Number (must match the specimen label), enter ‘Virus Culture’ and/or the suspected viral agent(s) under the test description, the source of the tissue sample, date of onset, date of collection, physician name and address, and clinical diagnosis.
- Place container in the biohazard bag and seal bag.
- Insert the completed requisition in the pocket on the outside of the sealed biohazard bag.
- To maintain optimum viability, the specimen should be stored and transported at 2 - 8°C or on wet ice. Transport to the laboratory for processing within 48 hours of collection.
- For further information about Virus Culture (Detection) - Tissue collection and testing refer to the Test Directory Index.
Storage of unused kits:
The kits can be stored at room temperature with stated expiry date - DO NOT USE EXPIRED KITS.