Ethics Review Board
Public Health Ontario's (PHO) Ethics Review Board (ERB) is responsible for the ethics review of evidence-generating public health projects that involve human participants, their data or their biological materials. Projects may include research, evaluation, enhanced surveillance and quality improvement.
The ERB helps to ensure that projects are consistent with the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans, Second edition (TCPS 2), PHO’s Framework for the Ethical Conduct of Public Health Initiatives, as well as other relevant regulations, policies and guidelines. As an independent board, the ERB has the authority to approve, reject, propose modifications to or withdraw approval of any eligible projects submitted for review. The ERB also participates in the development of best practices for addressing emerging ethical issues in the conduct of public health evidence-generating initiatives across the province.
Collectively, ERB members have expertise in a broad range of public health disciplines and methodologies, ethics, law, and community perspectives.
List of Current Board Members
- Elizabeth Peter, Chair
- Kwaku Adomako, Public Health Ontario
- Naideen Bailey, Non-affiliated member
- Shelly Bolotin, Public Health Ontario
- Alexandra Campbell, University of Toronto
- Julie Cowan, Community member
- Billie-Jo Hardy, Well Living House, St. Michael’s Hospital
- Jeremy Herring, Public Health Ontario
- Juhee Makkar, University of Toronto
- Barry Pakes,York Region
- Samadhi Mora Severino, Community Member
- Ruby Shanker, Women's College Hospital
- Jay Shaw, Women's College Hospital
- Thomas Tenkate, Ryerson University
Check out our submission deadlines and meeting dates.