Dr. Yasmin Khan
"Working at PHO as a hub organization is important for my field of public health emergency preparedness, as interaction and collaboration with other sectors is crucial during emergencies with health impacts. PHO’s mandate in terms of the generation and synthesis of knowledge is highly relevant to the PHEP field, which can benefit from the development of more rigorous knowledge and evaluation."
Areas of Expertise
- health system emergency management
- emergency medicine
- health systems research
- disaster epidemiology
- high-risk populations
Assistant Professor, Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Western Ontario
- Master of Public Health (Community Health and Epidemiology), University of Toronto
- Fellow, The Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC), Emergency Medicine, University of Toronto
PHO Research Interests
- health emergency preparedness
- performance measurement for public health emergency preparedness (PHEP)
- communication and collaboration between public health and acute care
- the role of social media in PHEP
- methods and applications of Integrated Knowledge Translation for research in PHEP
PHO Research Activities
- Advancing performance measurement for public health in Canada.
- Learning lessons during recovery from non-infectious emergencies.
- Khan Y, Leung GJ, Belanger P, Gournis E, Buckeridge DL, Liu L, et al. Comparing Twitter data to routine data sources in public health surveillance for the 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games: an ecological study. Can J Public Health (2018) 109: 419-26.
- Khan Y, Sanford S, Sider D, Moore K, Garber G, de Villa E, et al. Effective communication of public health guidance to emergency department clinicians in the setting of emerging incidents: a qualitative study and framework. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17(1):312.
- Khan Y, Barnett DJ. Zika virus infection and the Flint, Michigan, water crisis: a study in surprising commonalities. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2016;10(2):181-2.
- Rajaram N, Hohenadel K, Gattoni L, Khan Y, Birk-Urovitz E, Li L, et al. Assessing health impacts of the December 2013 Ice storm in Ontario, Canada. BMC Public Health. 2016;16:544.
- Khan Y, Fazli G, Henry B, de Villa E, Tsamis C, Grant M, et al. The evidence base of primary research in public health emergency preparedness: a scoping review and stakeholder consultation. BMC Public Health. 2015;15:432.