Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning

Paralytic shellfish poisoning is caused by ingesting a toxin found in mussels, oysters or clams harvested from water where the toxin is present. Onset typically begins between 30 minutes and three hours after ingesting the contaminated food. Symptoms of poisoning include tingling, numbness, paralysis, nausea and vomiting. People can reduce their risk of poisoning by only buying shellfish from reputable sources.

 

Event

PHO Grand Rounds: Swipe right: Using the internet for public health interventions for sexually transmitted infections

This will be complemented by a presentation from Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit, describing their experience implementing internet-based STI contact management strategies, including STI contact follow-up using social networking sites and health promotion. 

See the Event Details
Chat icon

Contact the Department

Enteric, Zoonotic and Vector-Borne Diseases

ezvbd@oahpp.ca

contact lab

Contact Laboratory Customer Service

Laboratory Services

customerservicecentre@oahpp.ca

Updated 22 Oct 2019