Tuberculosis Kit order#: 390042
This supply pack is sufficient for one Mycobacteria culture (including M. tuberculosis) test containing one 90 ml sterile container and one General Test Requisition.
- Open the biohazard bag and remove the sterile container.
- Collect sputum specimens early in the morning, before eating. Do not submit pure saliva or nasal secretions.
- Collect 3 sputum specimens (either spontaneous or induced) on the same day, a minimum of 1 hour apart, or if feasible, collected on 3 consecutive early mornings and submit each to laboratory upon completion. 5 ml sputum is optimal; the patient may expectorate several times.
- Do not pool the three specimens. Do not have patient rinse mouth with tap water before producing specimen.
- Replace cap on container closing tightly.
- Label the specimen container with the patient’s full name, date of collection and one other unique identifier such as the patient’s date of birth or Health Card Number. Failure to provide this information may result in rejection or testing delay.
- Complete all fields of the requisition: include, the patient’s full name, date of birth, Health Card Number (must match the specimen label), enter ‘Mycobacteria Culture’ under test description, source of specimen (indicate if induced), date of onset, date of collection, physician name and address, and clinical diagnosis. If the specimen is “Follow-up” or “Post Treatment “, please note this on the requisition.
- Place specimen container in the biohazard bag and seal bag.
- Insert the completed requisition in the pocket on the outside of the sealed biohazard bag.
- Transport the specimen to the laboratory as soon as possible after collection. If transport is delayed more than one hour the specimen must be refrigerated.
- For more information about Mycobacteria specimen collection and testing, refer to the Test Directory Index.
Storage of unused kits:
The kits can be stored at room temperature with stated expiry date - DO NOT USE EXPIRED KITS